On Monday of this week I was so excited when I went to the podiatrist because he gave me permission to begin walking on my foot (with my boot and brace)! It's only been over 3 months since I have been stuck on crutches and in a wheelchair, so this was good news to me. However, when I started to transition to putting weight on my foot, the front part of my ankle (where my leg curves into my foot) started killing me! I immediately took my weight off and scheduled an appt for Friday (yesterday) to get it checked out.
Also on Monday, I finished my second round of antibiotics for my tonsils. YEA! (right?) Alas, on Wednesday there was still some swelling, so I decided I better get in to get it checked out. I don't want another abscess after all! This appt was also scheduled for Friday.
Friday was finally here. I started out with my chiropractor (for my car accident), and I had a wonderful adjustment and massage... it looks good so far...
I then booked it across town to make it to my ENT. After an hour wait, I get the news... I have to have my tonsils out! Just between Wed and Fri my tonsil has already gotten worse and is about to flare out of control again. Dr. Gonzalez told me I could leave them in, but I would probably expect a flare up every month or two. Who wants to go through that??? Ironically, people who haven't ever had tonsil problems before (such as me) are more likely to have continuous problems once they abscess. How is that fair?? They asked me if I wanted to schedule it right then, or call after I look at my calendar. I of course decide to call them, because I first want to indulge myself in a ten-minute pity party/freak out. I call Eli and my parents and laugh in disbelief at my luck these days.
So then I have an hour and a half for lunch before I go back to my chiropractor for my electro-therapy on my foot and ankle (this has made the biggest difference in the last 3 weeks!) Understandably, I have no desire to sit at home alone feeling sorry for myself. so I call Melissa and ask her if I can bring a couple of the new Wendy's buffalo-dipped chicken sandwiches over and eat with her. YUMMY! She obliged me, and tried to take my mind off of all my luck.
I had another good experience at the chiropractor. This has been my favorite spot for the last 3 months. Then, I book it over to the other side of town for my podiatrist appt. Now, I have to be honest and tell you that at this point I am pretty much expecting the worst, and am thinking along the lines of surgery. No fun. Thankfully, though, it turns out I just have LOT of swelling around my ankle joint and other portions of my foot because I had kept them completely stationary for 101 days, and they didn't like movement now. The Doc said he will give me a cortisone shot and then write me a prescription for physical therapy. I am liking the sounds of these!
As he prepares the shot I ask him, "On a scale of 1-10, how badly is this going to hurt?" He chuckles and said it won't even register on the scale. I am feeling relieved and sit back for a mostly pain-free shot.
As he starts to administer the shot I am suddenly accosted with writhing pain in my ankle! I try to laugh and not scream (kind of unsuccessfully) as I accuse him of lying to me! He laughs a little and tells me, "Well, you didn't ask me where my 1 started." This was the longest and most painful shot I have ever experienced.
I finally survived the day and headed home. My dear husband took me out to see the new James Bond movie while my sister babysat. It was a pretty good ending to an otherwise really stressful day!
I love you, Eli.





4 comments:
Oh my Dixie. You poor girl. Robert is having is tonsils out in Jan. You're poor,poor foot. Yup I hear those shots are the WORST. Hope things look up for you soon. Wish I was there. I'd come sit with you and eat yummy food. HA! Miss you guys.
What a day! I'm glad there was some good news along with the bad, but yikes - I don't know how you made it everywhere you had to go. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Hoepfully you will be on the road to FULL recovery soon!! (((HUGS))) Thanks for the sandwich--it was delish!
Yikes! That is way too much for one person to deal with in one day!! I'm glad there were at least some good parts to the day!
P.S. I didn't know you had a blog! I'm glad I know now!
Post a Comment